Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Chip Graveyard

I have a chip graveyard in my pantry. I buy a bag of chips, we eat most of them over the course of a few days or weeks, and then the nearly-empty bag of undippable sized morsels goes unopened for another few days or weeks or.... In the meantime, another bag of chips is welcomed into the family and it goes through the same life-span and finds its resting spot next to the other useless bags of crumbs. I just can't bear to throw them away, thinking that I might find a use for crushed chips. Like a yummy topping to soup or a surprising crunch in a bland sandwich. However, I don't do those things. I just keep putting more bags in the pantry that will all eventually get thrown into the garbage in a moment of self-disgust at my lack of organization.

I suppose the same is true for lots of areas in my life. I guess I have a hard time finishing some things all the way. If I turn around right now I will probably spy at least one item in the kitchen that did not get washed or dried or put away to finish the cleaning process. Rather than spending another 2 minutes to complete the job, I gave in to my sloppy side. My leaving things half done says, "I have had enough of this, and it's not the end of the world if I don't finish."

I can only hope that when it comes to the truly important things in life, like my faith, my marriage, and raising my children, I will have the staying power it takes to thrive and find true rewards. Rewards even better than the surprise of munching salty-crunchy chips tucked into a boring sandwich.

2 comments:

  1. If you've got cheesy doritos crumbs, they go smashingly inside a turkey sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah G. uses crunched up chips to top toasted tuna melts ... it's really tasty.

    ReplyDelete