Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Treasures

Many times throughout my life I have opened my bible to a random page, read a few verses, and then meditated on what God might be trying to say to me. And many times, I blunder around, asking, "does He mean this?" or "maybe I'm supposed to think this."

Other times, though, as soon as I begin to read I hear the swooshing sound of a two by four soaring through the air and finally finding its resting place firmly between my eyes. Whack. Today was the 2 x 4.

This week we find our family in a bit of a struggle. To work though it, we decided to seek God's grace and wisdom to see us through. My wonderful husband left the house early- tired and hungry, and went to daily mass. I wanted to join him somehow, so I decided to read and meditate upon today's gospel reading. The title of the passage for today... "Do Not Be Anxious." WHAM, 2 x 4.

As I read I knew God was speaking directly to my heart. He has taken care of everything. He knows our needs in advance. He allows struggles, both big and small, so that we never become independent and think we can handle it on our own. He calls us to constant faith in His Word, and He never disappoints.

The passage ends, "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." I know my treasure well. They are sleeping peacefully a few rooms away, or driving home after worshiping the God who loves us. I pray I will always be well-aware that my treasures are my family and that my heart resides with them. God will take care of the rest.

Today's Gospel is Luke 12:22-31

No comments:

Post a Comment