Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Until there was Roux

There are many things that I have learned in my life that I wish I had known sooner. For instance, I wish I had known that spray painting an old baker's rack on the lawn will make the lawn look black - for a long time! But an even more useful bit of knowledge is the amazing, versatile, beautiful marriage of fat and flour known as a roux (pronounced "roo," as in Kanga's baby).

I guess, in all fairness, I had used this concoction in my younger years. A few of my mom's recipes that I have adopted include some form of a roux. But what I didn't know is how you can start with some butter and flour in a pan and from there create a multitude of yummy sauces. It's almost like a bit of magic. I don't understand the chemistry of the combo, but I want to share are a few tasty creations that begin with butter and flour.

Macaroni and Cheese
I don't buy boxed Mac & Cheese. I prefer to use real cheese. This is the way you can use healthy, simple ingredients just as fast as the boxed method.

* Boil the amount of noodles you want (don't forget to add a good bit of salt to the water).
* Have about a cup of milk and a cup of cheese ready. (I use sharp cheddar).
* In another sauce pan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. When it is nearly melted, add 1 tablespoon of flour. Whisk together until the flour is cooked just a bit, but doesn't get too dark.
* Whisk in about 1/3 of the milk and keep stirring until it gets thick. Then add the rest of the milk and keep whisking.
* Add the shredded cheese and stir it up. (a silicone spoon works best here.)
* Taste it and add salt to your taste. Toss in the drained noodles and you're done! YUM!!

Mexican Cheese Sauce
Make the same recipe for Mac & Cheese with the following changes:
* Don't make noodles.
* Use pepperjack cheese
* Stir in your favorite salsa after you add the cheese.

This is amazing drizzled over some crunchy tater rounds and then dipped in a little sour cream. Taco John's Potato Ole's with Cheese and Sour Cream. Same great taste but it doesn't make you feel yucky when you're done! Also good to use for nachos.

(A great pregnancy treat!!)

Gravy... Easy and Delicious
Until there was Roux, I had never made a good gravy in my life. Now my gravy always tastes great.
* Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan, then add 1 tablespoon of flour. Whisk this together until the flour is cooked and the color gets nice and dark, like a cup of espresso with just a little cream.
* Add about 1/3 cup of chicken or beef stock and whisk until thick.
* Add more stock until it's enough gravy for you.
* Taste and add salt if you need it.
* You can add just a touch of milk or cream with chicken stock if you'd like.

EASY!!! Want more ideas?? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't made the cheese sauce for tater rounds before ... I'll have to try that and shock Eric (he really likes Potato Ole's from TJ's).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christa! Usually I just dump in shredded cheese and deal with the globs. I can't wait to try this for the kids' lunch one of these days!!

    ReplyDelete